Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Being Realistic


Being realistic. A wolf in sheep's clothing, if ever there was one. A sure-fire killer of dreams and aspirations, being realistic has sacrificed many dreams to "I have to earn a living", "I can't afford that" or the ever popular "You'll never earn enough doing that". Or how about "I couldn't do that... what would people think?"

I have a different approach to being realistic. I believe being realistic is to embrace what inner vision you have, and to pursue it with vigour. Many people suffer in careers they hate, not knowing anything else, until it ends and they find themselves doing something they enjoy much more. Often a mill closure, a factory pink slip, or an injury can lead to incredible gains for a person who decides to get real.

Being realistic is not necessarily turning away from what inspires us. Rather, it may be that by turning away from the job at the mill, or the factory, or the cubicle farm, we find ourselves in a position we never imagined. There is a story that one of Carl Jung's associates was fired, and when he told Jung his story, Jung replied "That is wonderful news indeed! We must find a bottle and celebrate!". The point I intend to illustrate is that we plod along, head down, earning a living, and we don't see the forest, or even the trees. We see the path by our feet. Look up! Look around you! BE REALISTIC! See the beauty surrounding you that you might have driven past a hundred times. See it for what it is, not what you thought it was.

Let me illustrate. I worked at a job last summer for three weeks, and hated every day there. I didn't get along with my foreman, I couldn't really relate to the guys I worked with, and subsequently felt more and more isolated every day, and destined for failure. The harder I tried, the faster I went, the more I had to fix afterward. I went to work one Friday morning, and was told that I was completely useless, that I should leave the trades, and that I was hereby fired. The foreman that said these things was so vitriolic and passionate about what he was saying, the reader could be forgiven for believing him. However, instead of arguing, I became realistic. Well, after a little arguing, I became realistic! I realized that I had just received a beautiful opportunity to leave a job I hated, and to find one I liked. In the end, I found myself at a company that supported its employees, encouraged people and celebrated their successes, and paid more, to boot!

I believe that we are here to fulfill a purpose, and that we alone really know what that is. Others may sense it, but their senses are clouded by their judgements, prejudice, and feelings. The way to know your purpose is to look within - there is no other way. What makes your heart sing? What catches your attention as you leaf through a magazine? What do you research online before anyone else gets up in the morning?

When we feel like we've discovered our purpose in life, most of us turn to our closest friends or family and tell them. The difficulty is that family or close friends may have their own views, opinions, or vested interests about you, and raising Llamas in the Himalayas might not be part of their plans. Try this sometime: at a party, turn to someone and tell them you've always had a dream to work on a crocodile farm in Australia, or race camels in Egypt, in the shadows of the pyramids. What you'll find may surprise you: instead of laughing or immediately telling you why it won't work, many people will encourage your venture, and even offer helpful or unhelpful advice on how to do it. Listen, filter, and decide, but realize that you already know the answer. It lies within, in the quiet places where our thoughts go to be at peace.

What happened when one of Carl Jung's associates was promoted? After excitedly telling him of his new position, Jung replied gravely, "This is very serious indeed; but if we stick together, we shall all pull through this". Look up! Look around you! Whether you think something is good or bad, chances are that later you will feel different about it. Being realistic means looking seriously at our heart's desires, and vowing to support them instead of letting them wither. Vowing to defend our beliefs and to follow them to see where they lead us. That silent knowing that we feel when we are on purpose - that is being realistic.

I am happiest when I am creating images; I am engergized, inspired, and alive. I spend my mornings reading about how to make my images better, or brainstorming new concepts to try in my photography. I can be lethargic and bored one minute, ready to leave a party early, but with a camera in my hand, I become alive and invigorated almost instantly. That is being realistic.

The image above is Jordan, being realistic in a peach orchard.

No comments: